Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
asics nimbus 19 mens
How do you know which category you belong to? asics gt 3000 What you'll find next are instructions on how to determine your arch type based on the "wet footprint test." Once you determine your arch type, you can translate it into a pronation category and choose a shoe from one of three categories: high arch gets cushioning, medium arch gets structure cushioning, low arch gets maximum support. These are basically different words for neutral, stability, and motion control. Since we're in the business of asking for peer reviewed, published evidence, I'd ask what the evidence for using arch height to choose a shoe might be? I'd ask whether pronation has been reliably shown as a major cause of running injury that needs to be controlled by a shoe? I'd ask whether ASICS shoes or pronation control devices have been proven to prevent injuries? 

Let's try this then (questions to follow the colon): 1) What is the average heel lift (defined as the height difference in millimeters between the heel and the forefoot) of the top 5 (by quantity) Asics running shoes sold at retail (both online & in stores) in 2010? 2) How many of those top 5 shoes have peer reviewed studies showing their effectiveness at preventing injury or increasing performance? I swear, this whole thing is like a religion discussion where neither side budges because both sides feel they are right. Anyhoo, I don't have a peer reviewed medical journal article to back up what I'm about to write so SB may want to hit that little "x" in the top right corner. For as long as I can remember every running shoe (for the most part) has always been a variation on the same theme: high-cushioned heel with much less cushion under the forefoot. Without fail there was always asics gt 2000 4 womens a huge amount of these types of shoes in the running shoe section of ______ store. There may be some slight difference to make a few stand out from the others, such as gel pods, microchips, air pillows, whatever. Essentially the modern running shoe has remained unchanged in the last 30 years if you don't count the gimmicks (which I don't). So, essentially the shoe industry, for the most part, is still selling the Model T. Different companies may give it a spoiler, Foose wheels, HID headlights, or a flashy paint job, but no matter what they do, it's still asics kayano womens 23 a Model-T. If the Asics of the world don't start truly embracing a thing called innovation, then they WILL become the IBM of the shoe industry (as one astute reader stated previously). 

You want a spirited and open debate, then refer to your friend Craig Payne, who I have heard from numerous folks is the anonymous writer of the Barefoot Running is Bad website which likes to denigrate the barefoot runners (I suppose I'll now be accused of misrepresenting what is on that site& ). Both sides could stand to be a bit more civil and open minded. I have read Craig's thoughtful post on the podiatry arena (I do lurk there from time to time as I believe in learning from as many sources as I can). I agree with most of what he says, contrary to his charges that I misrepresent study results. The debate is not barefoot vs. traditional shoes. As Jay Dicharry so eloquently wrote in response to the post on Zero Drop, the debate should be about how best to find the optimal shoe for each runner. My belief is that in order to do this, more options are needed. In a case where the asics kayano 24 mens science is hard to do, anecdote has to play some role, and anecdote suggests that some people do better in less shoe. Thankfully, more easily accessible options are appearing in regular shoe stores, and runners are conducting individual experiments on a daily basis. Heck, I have run in just about every type of shoe imaginable, probably much to my own detriment, and only recently have I come to determine my own personal preferences. Sometimes I like a soft shoe like the Saucony Kinvara, other times I like an ultraminimal shoe like a Vibram Fivefingers or Merrell Trail Glove. I don't like anything that has much more than a 6mm heel lift. That's a personal preference, and I am a n of 1. However, if I went by the advice of the shoe store clerk when I first started running, I'd still be in typical stability shoes. I feel that the shoe fitting process is flawed, and more research needs to be done on how to fit runners to shoes. You say that Asics has long tried to work to allow the natural movement of the foot, so why not start a massive education program to educate shoe stores that pronation is not the evil that it is made out to be, and is not the only factor to consider when choosing a shoe. Why does ASICS persist in advocating arch type as a factor in choosing a shoe when the best evidence we currently have suggest that this is not a useful tool. 

Both sides need to be more thoughtful and open minded. Bill over at zero drop likes to take an extreme approach (much like Barefoot Running is Bad) because sometimes taking that approach is necessary to get the other side to come to the middle. A time honored practice in politics. I'd like to see us arrive at a place where runners have more options, and store owners have better criteria at their disposal to help them select a proper shoe. That shoe might be an Asics Kayano, it might be a Saucony Kinvara, or it might be a Vibram Fivefingers. I myself am not entirely sure what these criteria should be, but I don't have a fancy gait lab to do this kind of research myself. I simply look at what runners do out on the road, read the literature, and attempt to make sense of things. I probably make mistakes, and that's fine, I'm happy to admit that I'm not infallible. None of us are. 

actually.. I agree with you.. there are many gaps at many levels.. and that is what I have been trying to say. I cannot tell you how many discussions I have had with the powers that be bout educating.. on the facts at a grass root level about this stuff. it is very frustrating. There are 330 million people in the USa.. where to start?.. i wish I had the power.. but, i have been erroneously viewed as the "head asics nimbus 19 mens of research" for ASICS.. just wish I had that power. Between you and me.. and the whole world on this blog.. the shoe fitting process.. the foot type categorisation process.. is stuffed and needs a major overhaul.. but I am tired.. and hope one day we can actually come together for the benefoit of the athlete.. the most important person. Pete.. reread my posts.. i agree with you.. it is a time of greta change.. of useful self appraisal.. no one has the answers.. I am more than happy to [Image: asics gt 3000-873clg.jpg] listen and learn.. just as long as it makes sense